Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Simple Hit and Run

Sticking with the creative writing theme here I think I will post another one of my in class exercises that I whipped up during my senior year of college in creative writing. This one is more of a short story told from the eyes of a teenager. The assignment was simply to write about a hit and run and we had 15 minutes to do so. (I think I secretly had my little sister in mind while writing this one) :/



A Simple Hit and Run
I guess I wasn’t really thinking clearly at the time of the accident. It all happened so fast that my body kind of took over as my mind went blank. It’s hard to explain, but, you don’t really know how you will react after crashing into a police cruiser until it happens. However, that is exactly what happened to me only about three minutes ago.

The cruiser was parked on the side of the street. I would guess that the officer was inside the local store buying donuts or something because he sure as heck wasn’t in the car. In my defense, I was going the speed limit! It’s just that I have only had my license for about a week now and I’m not very good at texting while driving yet. I don’t think anyone saw me do it, so I hurried up and put my dad’s truck into reverse, backed it up a little, then cut the wheel hard and took off like nothing had happened. The truck is smoking a lot. I’ve just been driving around trying to figure out what I’m going to tell my dad. He doesn’t even know I took his truck out tonight. It was cold and I didn’t feel like walking to Darryl’s house. Not that my parents would have let me go see him anyway. He is three years older than me and my dad says that’s “too mature” for a girl my age, but he doesn’t understand love. Besides, it’s a school night and I’m not allowed to be out past ten o’clock. Much less coming home at 1 a.m. like this!

After thinking about this little situation for a bit I only see one logical way out of it. I’m just going to go home, park my dad’s truck, and when he wakes up in the morning he will think that someone has hit it and run and I’m off the hook, simple as that!

No comments:

Post a Comment